As more new COVID-19 cases are reported in the province, the Alberta government and the Gov’t of Canada have updated their responses to contain the spread. Specifically, AHS has revised its directive on mass gatherings (https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/topics/Page16997.aspx):
Public Health Restrictions (Mass Gatherings & School)
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, Alberta has implemented new public health restrictions.
- Effective immediately, student attendance at schools is prohibited.
- Post-secondary classes are cancelled. Campuses will remain open.
- All licensed child care facilities, out-of-school care programs and preschool programs are closed indefinitely.
- All long-term care and other continuing care facilities are advised to limit visitation to essential visitors only.
- Places of worship are no longer exempt from restrictions on mass gatherings.
The revised directive will affect all ECAC’s ministries and programs going forward. The church leaders are assessing the extents of the directive’s impacts, and exploring options to continue our mission while protecting our community and complying with the restrictions. An emergency elder board meeting is scheduled for Tuesday to address the volatile situation.
As the COVID-19 situation is evolving rapidly, the church commits to provide regular progress updates and open communication with the congregations. Please check our web site daily for the latest developments and responses.